According to an interview found here, Mr. Wales stated, "most conflict and war is the direct result of ignorance."
If this were true, then Wikipedia is causing conflict and war as it is promoting ignorance on many various subjects. If one were to read about Islamic terrorism on Wikipedia, then one would get the idea that many terrorist groups are merely "legitimate resistance movements." The reason for this is because the majority of people in the world are ignorant and Wikipedia is a system based upon collective opinions and people arbitrarily pulling facts out of context from various sources.
If the collective is ignorant, then ignorance is promoted on Wikipedia. If Mr. Wale's statement is true, then when it comes to important political issues (especially revolving around war), Wikipedia is fostering more misunderstanding and conflict.
Furthermore, there are many folks who are not "ignorant" who are responsible for creating war and bloodshed. There are many reasons for war and poverty.
Wikipedia is not going to solve the world's problems, especially if it does not portray Islamic terrorist groups accurately.
- Dr. Deepak Chopra, Your Brain on Wikipedia, the Wikipedia Documentary and Israel
- Israel and Howard Roark
- Thanks to the paranoid antisemtic Wikipedia editors
- Biased Wikipedia: Quick to Criticize, Not So Quick to Improve
- On Wikipedia, there's politics even in the hummus!
- JIDF Guide to Wikipedia
- An example of how articles are ruined in Wikipedia
- SOLVED: The Great Wikipedia Antisemitic Vandalism Mystery