Recently, FOX News reported that federal authorities used Facebook to find some members of a group of Somali-Americans who left their homes last year to join a terrorist group overseas.
We found the following excerpts of interest, as we believe it is one of the first times for Facebook to go on record about jihadist trends on their platform and hint at their willingness to coordinate with law enforcement authorities:
A spokesman for Facebook, which has more than 175 million users worldwide, said the social networking site can be helpful to an FBI investigation, providing information from a user's page, email addresses associated with a user, or even the location from which a user last accessed Facebook.Such as?
"There's a lot of information that we can provide to law enforcement," said Barry Schnitt, Facebook's Senior Manager for Corporate Communications and Public Policy
Schnitt acknowledged that Facebook could be used to "spread dangerous ideas" and that "there is a risk of technology helping to spread radicalism."
In fact, some Somali-Americans with ties to people involved in the Minneapolis case are using Facebook as a platform to express violent sentiments. In one instance, a user posted as his personal portrait a man holding what appears to be the Koran in one hand and a rocket-propelled grenade launcher — aimed straight ahead — in the other. The man is wearing what looks like a weapons or explosives belt, and his face is covered with a black wrap, only his eyes peering through. It's unclear whether the man in the photo is the user or someone else.
He acknowledged that the photo described below appears "a little hostile."
"A little hostile" - According to Facebook
Schnitt admitted technology like Facebook can help spread radicalism, he said that shouldn't "overshadow all the ways it has helped to stop radicalism."
- Zuckerberg: No need for Facebook to be proactive on antisemitism
- JIDF ACTION ALERT: 100 New Antisemitic/Pro-Jihadist Facebook Groups
- 40 New Hate/Terrorist Groups on Facebook Which the JIDF Reported *UPDATE*
- Top 20 Newest and Most Active Terrorist and Antisemitic Groups on Facebook
- JIDF Guide to Facebook Groups
- Regarding material on Facebook
- Mujahideen Groups on Facebook
- Hezbollah: Swapping MP3's on Facebook
- Small Sampling of This Week's Terrorist Activity on Facebook
- JIDF Pride
- Thousands Use Facebook to Celebrate Terrorist Attack Today
- Facebook Endorses Hamas?
- A Terrorist Group Planning and Calling for the Bombing of Egyptian Border (on Facebook!)
- Oboler: The Rise and Fall of a Facebook Hate Group
- JIDF Letter to Facebook Regarding Illegal Content