Holocaust denial on Facebook is an issue we have been on for nearly 2 years.
We have inspired our activists to write letters to firstname.lastname@example.org and to report the groups.
We've spoken to Chris Kelly (Chief Privacy Officer) about the many problems on Facebook, including Holocaust denial and the promotion of terrorism.
(When asked on the phone, Mr. Kelly made it seem to us that most of this was acceptable as "legitimate political discourse." However, after posting this, we quickly received an email in which he clarifies his point....please see this post for more info.)
Facebook rarely, if ever, took action until the media got involved, giving them bad press, and even then, they still did not do enough proactively to rid their platform of hatred.
Therefore, we've also had to take over groups ourselves, when necessary, just to help get the spotlight onto the issues.
While we provided a small sampling of issues back in October of 2008 (which has since become the basis of some giant media spectacle in which our piece was strangely never referenced nor credited by TechCrunch, Mashabable, CNET, CNN, JTA, PC MAG, and others, for some reason), the problems on Facebook are much larger than Holocaust Denial or that particular small batch of groups that we used as an example.
Despite Facebook taking action on a few of them, there's still other Holocaust denial groups up:
- Fuck Israel And Their Holocaust Bullshit - 838 members
- Fuck Israel And Their Holocaust Bullshit - 128 members
- Holocaust Revisionists - 52 members
- Holohoax - 24 members
- Holocaust: A series of lies - 31 members
- Holocaust is a Myth - 42 members
Are we just concerned about the Holocaust of the past?
Shouldn't we also be concerned about preventing one in the future?
There are many groups that are advocating genocide, promoting Islamic terrorism, and preaching the destruction of Israel.
Despite all our effort, why does the media choose not to focus upon these issues as well? Is it too "politically sensitive?" Can all these bloggers and media outlets kvetch about denying the Holocaust of the past all the while avoiding the fact that hundreds of thousands of people on Facebook are preaching for one to happen in the near future?
Just recently we launched a campaign against all the "HATE ISRAEL" groups, in which the Jerusalem Post was the only organization to cover it. Just take a look in these groups and you will find your Holocaust denial, Jew hatred, promotions of terrorism and genocide:
- How Many People Hate Israel? - 68,000 members
- Invite your friends if u hate "ISRAEL" - 15,228 members
- I bet I can find 1,000,000 people who hate Israel -14,051 members
- We bet we can find 1.000.000 person hate "Israel" - 11,119 members
- We Hate Israel - 4,717 members
- Zgnječi Izrael!Destroy Israel!- 1,584 members
- I Hate Israel - 1,322 members
- HATE ISRAEL - 823 members
- Hate Israel! - 416 members
- HATE ISRAEL - 337 members
- God Destroy all of Israel -172 Members
Why doesn't the media report?
Throughout our website, you can find a plethora of lists of groups on Facebook and we also cover the problems in other areas of the web, like YouTube. Some content comes down, other content crops up. So we try to focus on 10 or 20 at a time in scattered action alerts in which we mass-report the groups.
Here is our Guide to Hostile Facebook Groups for more information.
- Zuckerberg: No need for Facebook to be proactive on antisemitism
- Abuse of Power at Facebook? Sister of CEO Threatens to Deactivate Account of Bouncer She Does Not Like
- JIDF Account Deactivated Again!
- Today's disgruntled Facebook employee could be tomorrow's identity thief, or just someone who has the power to make your life miserable
- SUCCESS!!! JIDF TAKES OUT MASSIVE "HATE ISRAEL" FAN PAGE WITH OVER 122,000 FANS!
- New status update of the "Hate Israel" fan page: "i killed half the jews and left the other half for you to discover why i killed the first" [hitler]
- Facebook Censors Martin Scorsese and Robert DeNiro, but not Hamas and Hezbollah
- (Video) FOX NEWS Covers More Issues at Facebook
- 100 New Antisemitic/Pro-Jihadist Facebook Groups
- 40 New Hate/Terrorist Groups on Facebook
- Top 20 Newest and Most Active Terrorist and Antisemitic Groups on Facebook
- JIDF Guide to Facebook Groups
- Regarding material on Facebook
- Mujahideen Groups on Facebook
- Hezbollah: Swapping MP3's on Facebook
- Small Sampling of This Week's Terrorist Activity on Facebook
- JIDF Pride
- Thousands Use Facebook to Celebrate Terrorist Attack Today
- Facebook Endorses Hamas?
- A Terrorist Group Planning and Calling for the Bombing of Egyptian Border (on Facebook!)
- Oboler: The Rise and Fall of a Facebook Hate Group
- JIDF Letter to Facebook Regarding Illegal Content