A database problem knocked out the accounts of about 150,000 Facebook users for more than a week. Many of the 150,000 users affected by the problem are expressing frustration and anger with the social network.
Some users' friend lists, photos, postings and other personal information are missing.
The accounts started dropping off about Oct. 3, with affected users generally getting a "site maintenance" message when they tried to log on. Frustrated, many users took to Twitter to vent about their missing accounts.
One Twittered: "Actually hate facebook. my account has been "temporarily unavailable" for days."
In response to user complaints, Facebook posted a short, impersonal note on Oct. 6, three days after the first account was dropped. "We are experiencing a technical issue with one of our databases that is resulting in an extended period of maintenance for some of you. We are working on a fix and hope to have this resolved in the next 24 hours," noted the post.
The message didn't go over well with a lot of users who didn't see any progress over the next 24 hours or even in another week. The Oct. 6 message was facebook's only update about the situation.
"I'm starting to think the Federal Deficit will be paid off before Facebook gets my original profile back. Anybody want to take bets?" asked one user in the list of comments posted to Facebook's message.
"24 hours??? Why don't u just add a zero and make it 240 hours? At least just keep us updated," wrote another. "this is really hurting my business FB account!!! Over 7 days and nothing not even an updated message on the status? Really? Come on," wrote another user.
- The powerful online voice of jihad found on Facebook
- Hacked Facebook Apps Lead to Fake Antivirus Software
- 150,000 People Lose Facebook Accounts Due to Continued Technical Issues, Glitches
- Security Risks: The Dangers of Clickjacking with Facebook
- More Security Concerns at Facebook: Applications at risk from attack
- More Privacy Issues: Facebook Hit With Another Beacon Lawsuit
- More Technical Problems at Facebook: Database outage cuts off about 150,000 members for nearly 2 weeks
- Facebook is gold for identity thieves
- Too much information? Facebook users may be revealing more than they think
- Should teachers be friends with their students on Facebook?
- Jewish Tribune: Facebook takes down activist who fights antisemitism, terror
- Zuckerberg: No need for Facebook to be proactive on antisemitism
- Facebook digs through user data
- Facebook Makes Deal to Pester Users With Polls and Hand Data to Nielson
- Holocaust Denial on Facebook is Just the Tip of the Iceberg
- Feeling Safe with Your Real Information Posted on Facebook? REPORT: Hezbollah Spying Through Facebook
- JIDF Account Deactivated Again
- Federal Government Cracks Down on Facebook Fan Pages
- FBI warns of social networking fraud and malware escalation on Facebook
- Today's disgruntled Facebook employee could be tomorrow's identity thief, or just someone who has the power to make your life miserable
- SUCCESS!!! JIDF TAKES OUT MASSIVE "HATE ISRAEL" FAN PAGE WITH OVER 122,000 FANS!
- New status update of the "Hate Israel" fan page: "i killed half the jews and left the other half for you to discover why i killed the first" [hitler]
- Facebook Censors Martin Scorsese and Robert DeNiro, but not Hamas and Hezbollah
- (Video) FOX NEWS Covers More Issues at Facebook
- 100 New Antisemitic/Pro-Jihadist Facebook Groups
- 40 New Hate/Terrorist Groups on Facebook
- Top 20 Newest and Most Active Terrorist and Antisemitic Groups on Facebook
- JIDF Guide to Facebook Groups
- Regarding material on Facebook
- Mujahideen Groups on Facebook
- Hezbollah: Swapping MP3's on Facebook
- Small Sampling of This Week's Terrorist Activity on Facebook
- JIDF Pride
- Thousands Use Facebook to Celebrate Terrorist Attack Today
- Facebook Endorses Hamas?
- A Terrorist Group Planning and Calling for the Bombing of Egyptian Border (on Facebook!)
- Oboler: The Rise and Fall of a Facebook Hate Group
- JIDF Letter to Facebook Regarding Illegal Content